Climate change is such a colossal issue it needs to be addressed from every angle, including by our governments. Your member of parliament is your voice in the federal government. You find out who that person is here by typing in your postcode.
In Australia we are lucky enough to live in a democracy. Our government’s role first and foremost is to serve the people, not big business. By prescribing weak and inadequate climate targets the government does not have our best interests at heart. They are prioritising short term profit above long term survival.
Under the Morrison government our current climate targets are:
- Net-zero emissions, by no set date but sometime in the future – WEAK
- A cut in carbon emissions of 26%-28% below 2005 levels, by 2030 – INADEQUATE
- Fossil fuel subsidies cost Australians $10.3 billion in 2020-21 – APPALING
- The federal government is still approving fossil fuel projects, including a $600 million gas fired plant in the Hunter Valley – ANTI-SURVIVAL
What should you ask for?
- For the the government to set a net-zero emissions target by 2050
- To reduce our greenhouse gas emission by at least 50% below 20005 levels by 2030 but aim for 75%
- Complete divest from fossil fuels
- Investment in carbon sequestration and reforestation initiatives
What should you say?
You can say as much or as little as you like but I suggest you give your MP something tangible, like targets and dates. It can help to personalise your story and as frustrated or angry as you are, don’t be rude or your letter won’t be heard. I sent this letter on Tuesday the 17th of August to my MP, Catherine King via her website.
Dear Ms. King,
I have been living in your electorate for close to three years and have written to you on several occasions regarding policies around the environment and climate change.
Today I am writing to you in wake of the latest Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) report released last week. The 100’s of scientists who contributed to the report have called it a code red for humanity, a tipping point to which, if we stand by and do nothing, will go beyond a point of no return and the earth will heat up far beyond 2 ℃.
According to the report, global warming will stay below 2℃ during this century only under scenarios where CO₂ emissions reach net-zero by 2050. The current targets the Morrison government have in place are weak and frankly, embarrassing. Instead, as a developed nation, we should be leading the way by embracing stronger targets.
I fear the world my children will inherit. I want the Australian Federal Government to acknowledge that this is an emergency, and we need urgent action now.
I am asking you to please call upon the Australian Federal Government to take the following actions to protect our amazing planet and the future of life on earth.
- Set a goal of at least 50% cut in greenhouse gas emission by 2030 but aim for 75%
- Complete divestment from fossil fuels with no new coal or gas projects
- Net-zero emissions by 2050
- Investment in carbon sequestration and reforestation initiatives to return some of what we have lost
Thank you for taking the time to read my letter, I look forward to hearing from you and what you’re going to do.