It worked! It worked!
I am delighted to tell you that this recipe actually works! I was very dubious before making my own mascara if it would work or not (full disclosure, the first recipe I tried did not work at all).
- All natural ingredients
- Not tested on animal
- No chemicals
- Can be made almost zero waste*
* Although I did not make this from zero waste products, most of the items can be purchased in bulk and you can even make your own aloe vera gel at home – which I will do when this bottle runs out.
Thank you to Thank Your Body for sharing this awesome recipe! Without further ado:
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil
- 4 teaspoons of aloe vera gel (to DIY check out wikiHow)
- 1 teaspoon of beeswax – either grated or pellets (I used 1.5 as it’s summer here and it hot so adds a bit more stability)
- 2 teaspoons of charcoal
- Heat coconut, aloe vera and beeswax over low heat until wax is melted.
- Stir in charcoal
- Pour into a small jar/bottle/vessel of choice (I used a small glass jar and washed and reused my old mascara wand. Some recipes suggest to pipe mix into your old mascara bottle but ain’t nobody got time for that).
Admittedly it’s a little chunky but I don’t mind the look – especially given all the benefits!
UPDATE: I so wanted this recipe to work, and it did, although it doesn’t have staying power of a commercial mascara and for someone like to who is fundmantally lazy when it comes to applying make-up, this situation is not ideal! I noticed that it had rubbed off after about teo or three hours.